|The time I got to meet Manolo Blahnik himself!|
You know what they say, “when it rains it pours” and it is literally raining right now! In our magical land of sample sales things are ramping up at full force and this Thursday will have a slew of major (I mean seriously huge) designer sales. The latest addition to the list is of course the crème de la crème of NYC shopping, the semi-annual Manolo Blahnik sample sale. Forever immortalized by Carrie Bradshaw in Sex And The City, a pair of Manolos has become a staple of every fashionista’s closet. So don’t be the one to miss out and get ready to shop this one day only event with my handy primer. Read on!
- Arrive early (around 7am) and head to the second floor.
- Grab your ticket (it’s 1 ticket per person and you can’t get one for a friend) It’s likely that Manolo employees won’t arrive until after 8am.
- You don’t have to stay at the hotel once you have your ticket!
- Go back to work, go home, enjoy life lol but be back around 11am. Although if you prefer you can wait it out inside the conference room. The phone reception there sucks by the way and Wi-Fi isn’t free.
- What happens if you arrive after your group number has been called? No worries, you’ll still get in. Just show your ticket and they’ll let you inside.
- Please do not wear your very own pair of Manolos to this sale! No one cares how stylish you look and in the chaos inside someone can and will easily mistake your shoes for one of the sale’s offerings.
- Always hold on to your finds and don’t leave them unattended. Unscrupulous shoppers will literally “steal” your shoes when you’re not looking.
- Do you wear size 38? Well you better be in the first two groups or no shoes for you! The most popular and coveted size is sadly very underrepresented.
- Do you wear size 37 or 40+? You’re in luck because size 37 is the sample size and all large sizes are always in abundance.
- Looking for the Hangisi? You better forget about it right now! Every single shopper wants this shoe so unless you’re a size 42 or are among the VIP’s don’t expect to see one.
- Bring CASH! Yes, this is a CASH ONLY sale so hit an ATM first.
- Check for damages! Once the hordes begin rummaging things start to break. Anything with crystals or other embellishments requires a second look.
- Arrived too late (1-2pm)? Your number is in the 50’s and you want to cry? Don’t! Because you can still get into the sale. They usually close for 30-45min for restocking after which (around 4pm) all remaining shoppers in the conference room are allowed inside.
- Arriving after 3pm usually means you won’t get in as they stop handing out tickets by then.